Planet Earth = Planet Venus
I honestly don’t see a solution. At this rate, we will end up with the same runaway greenhouse effect as Venus.
(This is just a provocative title; I am well aware of the astronomical differences between us and our neighbor).
As a child back in the '80s, my father used to show me a documentary by Piero Angela called "Atmosphere: So Thin, So Fragile," which warned about the impact of pollution on climate change—a detailed and accurate prophecy that I am now witnessing firsthand.
Without changing international economic agreements, there will always be a nation that outsources production to cut costs, shipping goods on polluting container ships. There will always be a sovereign nation that finds it convenient to produce by polluting, undercutting countries that are actually trying not to pollute.
But I am old enough to look back with disillusionment at international efforts like the Kyoto Protocol or the Paris Agreements. We know that, within the current global economy, polluting pays off, and these agreements will simply be ignored after a few signatures, a handshake, and some smiles for the cameras.
Perhaps the only hope lies in some new form of clean energy. But I'm not talking about a small solar panel just to power a TV; we need enough energy to run all the world's container ships and AI data centers. Currently, there is no hope in that direction, and no hope toward changing the global economic model either.
No hope in general.
And the shortsightedness of politicians drives me to despair when they say, "Well, I’ll take Greenland, and I’ll take Siberia." What has happened since I was a child in the '80s until today will hit Greenland, Siberia, and Antarctica in another 40 years if we don't address the root causes.
Can you imagine any action being taken against these root causes?
Because I can't.
Perhaps we'll just keep polluting heavily (consuming vast amounts of energy and water) with AI data centers until AI itself teaches us how to master nuclear fusion. But aside from this flimsy, almost dreamlike vision, I see no realistic solution.
Commenti
Posta un commento